It’s one of the hardest things to do – promote yourself. But it is so important, especially if you work, or want to work, in the PR industry. This blog, which has been inspired by the talk from Dan Walsh I went to, shares the top eight reasons why you should start doing this now.
- Let’s start with the most obvious; if you can’t PR yourself why should a client trust you to do their PR?
- People are interested in stories, so share your story and people will be interested in you.
- Show your personality on social media, as well as your professional side (no naked photos though!).
- Ultimately PR’ing yourself can help you land you that next job. So make sure you Google yourself and see what future employers will see…
- It’s great to have a CV that stands out from the crowd, but you can go too far. A box full of goodies might make an impression, but it doesn’t say much about who you are or what you know about the sector.
- Know yourself and the sector you want to work in – it needs to fit your core, ethics and interests.
- Get your name known in the right communities – Facebook groups, LinkedIn groups, Twitter… You could meet your future employer, find your next story or discover a new journo to pitch to.
- Make sure you know who the key players are in your industry area and network, network, network. If you hate networking, read my earlier post here.